Sunday, September 26, 2010

GRADEBOOK




I’d like to take a moment to discuss the gradebook postings. First, I will describe something very simple that may relieve a certain amount of stress. Secondly, I will provide a few specifics of why some grades might show “missing” from time to time. And finally, I will spend a moment explaining details of a long-standing grade.

Simple:

If you are checking the gradebook online [SKYWARD FAMILY WEB ACCESS] . . . .
An asterisk [*] with “Missing” = NO WORRIES

A zero [0] with “Missing” = WORRY, I have graded the class’ assignment and your child’s work was not found.

A zero [0] without “Missing” = too much time has passed to receive credit.

Complicated:

There are several times where I will put an assignment name into the gradebook for several classes [i.e. Writing assignments / DOL/Analogies / and others]. When I do that, it might hinder ALL classes from getting grades entered for several days. So, if it happens that grades are not entered for a few days, it may show the asterisk with “missing” [see above note]. Again, no worries.


The “In the News” grade:

One specific grade I’d like to clarify is the “In the News” grade. This grade is going to accumulate throughout the semester by five-point increments. I am asking your child to bring in a newspaper article [or something from an online source] once every two weeks.

I’ve assigned each child a number and I post when their number is due on my whiteboard in the classroom. I assign three at a time in consecutive order – so there are no surprises. At the beginning of each cycle, I increase the gradebook points by five points. If your child is number 21, let’s say, then it may seem as if he/she is missing points for several days. We are currently in the middle of the second cycle.

On the other hand, if your child is missing MORE than five points, then there is a good chance that there really are missing points because an article was not submitted. That’s not good. I feel that turning in one article once every two weeks is not too much to ask.

There is a two-fold purpose in this: first, I feel it is important for all students to pay attention to current events [not just celebrity gossip]; and secondly, when we have a few spare moments at the end of a class, we can use these articles as quick class discussions.

1 comment:

  1. I do not understand why it is so hard to print out a news article. You are on here right now and most people will be on the computer for a while on facebook, listining to music, playing games, or doing stuff like this. Why not stay ion here 5 min longer, go to a news site, find an interesting article, and print it out. Dosent seem to hard to me.

    CCB 3rd hour

    ReplyDelete