Friday, September 25, 2009

What if I'm wrong? Part 2

2) What if a teacher comes across as being “better” than another teacher, either intentionally or unintentionally?

This is a tough one. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. And to intentionally come across as being omniscient is to be unprofessional. However, some of us have had the “privilege of training.” [I write that somewhat facetiously.] That training allows us to modify, improve, change, or throw away instructional practices. In some cases, new knowledge and instructional practices causes confusion within our students who were instructed to use another technique or another style. Is it necessarily right or wrong? Most of the time, no. Sometimes, yes. It is this question that I would like to address: when there are clearly ineffective strategies at play, why continue to use them? Is it because it is new? Is it because it is unfamiliar? Is it because “that’s the way it has always been taught?” [Another post, another time]
In my case, I have met people who have written for the ACT. They have developed standardized tests. One particular person, addressing English teachers at a conference in Springfield, asked the group why we, in Illinois, are STILL teaching the five-paragraph essay. It is formulaic. It is archaic. And it is, frankly, not real writing. Nowhere do we really read an expository paper written professionally that is in the strict five-paragraph essay format. And to artificially attach a certain number of sentences to a paragraph length . . . devastating. So I come in to my classroom with this bravado that I am learning is damaging to certain students. They trusted and excelled with their previous instructor. I come in with a different paradigm and challenge the students’ trust in previous teachers and unknowingly undermine their instructional methods. Now, I did not realize I was doing this until very recently. Eye opening. Humbling. Time for me to be self-reflective and quite possibly, apologetic. At least to a point. I am not sad or upset or apologetic about opening a new world of writing possibilities for my students. But I need to realize that the five-paragraph essay format is comfortable to my writers who struggle. The formula, however, does prove to allow students to meet on their standardized tests. It is a good technique that leads to good, well organized papers. It allows students to be successful. What I need to learn is who needs what. What students can excel with fewer limitations and what students need very strict guidelines. Professionally speaking, I need to realize that we have not all had the same professional development. This fact is one of the motivations behind collaboration. Teachers need to share their best practices. In doing so, we will KNOW what each other are teaching and HOW we are teaching so that we are not being professionally counter-productive. [Again, another post, another time]

12 comments:

  1. Dear Mr.Kimble
    I understand what you are saying and realize where you are coming from when you apologize to us for coming to us with radical ideas. However I now have a radical idea for you, challenge us. For years upon years we have been taught the "archaic" five paragraph essay and how to implement it into our lives. The reason some of the students in our class are having trouble wrapping our heads around your new ideas is because old ones have been thoroughly hammered into them. But if you could guide and nurture us to be better students and writers please do so because it will always help us in the long run of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that we DON'T have to use the five paragraph format anymore. My papers were never like that, I kind of just made them flow and it was usually an Intro, body, and conclusion paragraphs. It will really help me feel more confident about the papers I write for this class and others as well as for the ACT's or whichever test it is that we take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that any teaching method is "right or wrong." But I do believe that teaching methods should be constantly modified and changed to fit the new advances in say technology, science, or writing methods. Teachers are not all-knowing and they too sometimes need refresher courses and to be taught new teaching methods. However, practicing writing in the 5 paragraph form isn't necessarily damaging and even somewhat helpful to some. Teachers do need to collaborate. however, and make sure their teachings are not counter-productive but a continuation of everything that has been taught up to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with Travis for the most part. I do not believe that there is a right or wrong way of teaching, because people are different and they learn from different methods.
    The five paragraph essay has been tought to us since about fourth grade and i am wondering why the school district promotes teaching us this if there are many ways to write an essay properly. Was it just easy to teach? or was it supposed to be something we learned in the begging and branched off of? i dont know, but when you told us in class that there are more ways to write it felt like a big weight had been lifted from my shoulders because i didnt have to stick to one thing, like always. I feel like it gives us more freedom to write "outside of the Box"

    ALS1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jersey Community High School has been "labled" as a failing school and we need to get as far away from that title as possible. Our goal is to no longer be a failing school. We need to make some changes that will make things better and Mr. Kimble is the teacher that will help us do so. Mr. Kimble has taught us many things this year already that really changed our way of thinking. The things that we have been taught ever since grade school, (five paragraph essay) we now know that it really is not necessary. Also, that "it" CAN be used as the first word in a sentence, as long as "it" was explained previously. Hopefully, we will all learn from Mr. Kimble and other teachers that are improving thier teaching skills, and eventually achieve our goal and no longer be a failing school.

    -KLM 1st hour
    Eng. II H

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my personal opinion. I like the expository paper way of writing. It's makes me feel that i can say anything i want but some people just can't stand it because they need the specifics! They need to be told how many paragraphs and how many sentences. and when to do what. But how are they going to do things in life with no guidence? the answer is.. they probably won't! they will most likely either change or have someone in their life that always tells them what to do! But how can you help that? I think you are doing your best and yes every teacher should have their unique ways of teaching. Sometimes people like the flamboyant teachers and some even like the strict teachers! I like both! it's weird i like flamboyant teachers except i like strict math and choir teachers probably because i am most serious about those subjects!? I really don't know...
    KEM 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, personally, believe that the five paragrapf format is ridiculous. I have never once read a magazine article or a newspaper article that was setup in this way. While i do believe that it is helpful to some i also strongly support the pushing of this new idea of throwing out the five paragraph format. Something i would also like to get across is that this new way of writing that you are trying to teach us is the very one that PROFESSIONALS use it their writing of books and article. These PROFESSIONALS often make quite good money for their writing in use of this non-pentagonal format. XP1st

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Travis. Some teachers are set that there is a right and wrong way to teach things but there isn't. It depends on the teacher, what resorces they have or can get, and the class. Some classes learn things differently than others. But as for the 5 paragraph thing...I know that you are trying to change it and alot of us...including me... are really for it but the only thing is that we have been taught this way for so long that it is very hard to change.

    SS 1st hour

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr Kimble.
    I agree with travis. Its hard going from one classroom to another with a totally different way of writing a paper. I think it would be easier for teachers to talk about their teaching methods and for the students because they would be doing the same thing more often.
    I think that every classroom is different and every teacher is different. In some cases the method of teaching that a teacher has been using could work for one class but be hard for the other. I think teachers should know how to modify their methods that is both easy for them to get used to and that the students learn better. I know it may be hard for the teachers, but helping the students and their test scores would be worth it.

    JT 1st

    ReplyDelete
  10. The old style of teaching has been passed down for years, and produces large amounts of failure. Public Schools need more good ideas like these. New challenges for students. All students need to be more challenged in public school, this will be good for all of us.

    tjc1

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think personally that some teachers try to be better than others. Like you said there are clearly some ineffective ways of teaching. I think the teachers keep using them methods cuz they are use to them and dont want to redoe there whole method of teaching cuz of it or they dont realize its not teaching in a good way. It irritates me to hear that the 5paragraph essay format wasn't even worth learning when I was younger. I think that if they would have thought us the right way we wouldn't be back learning it the second time. I remeber in class when I was younger that was one of the big important factors in our essays the 5 paragraphs. I really like the new way of the essay formats it is some what easier cuz I dont have to get all the way to those 5 paragraphs when I can stay on topic instead of going off topic trying to get the last paragraph or whatever. I think some teachers in this High School are still using that method.
    WC6

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the 5 paragraph thing. I'm glad we are switching it up. The old style is getting old. I agree that we need to be more challenged.
    aeb1

    ReplyDelete